Thursday, May 8, 2014

Staining My Clothes

Go to college and start becoming a grown up. That was the idea. And yet, I find myself suddenly rediscovering my childhood pleasures: Disney movies, coloring books, juice pouches, and TIE-DYE.

Before starting college, I hadn't tie-dyed anything in around ten years. And I probably would've continued that way except that I got a job where I have to wear either white or tie-dye and I got an RA with an enthusiastic passion for the stuff.
See, nice clean trays!
We're so neat and prepared!

Last week, a couple of my friends and I spent Friday night making a mess in the laundry room. I mean, we used trays and had paper towels handy - we had every intent of being perfectly neat. But see, we're not pros at this and we laugh a lot so we jerk a lot. So, yeah, we spill a lot
too. 
Colors fly!
Then it begins.

But despite the incredible amount of dye all over the floor and all over ourselves, we had a blast. It's exciting, not really knowing how your project is going to turn out.

I haven't enjoyed myself so much in a long time. Between classes, essays, work, and sleep, there's not a lot of time left for fun. But I also realize that I should make time. Right after sticking her hands wet-concrete style into the tray of spilled dye, one of my friends says, "My parents would be so proud of me for doing something fun!" If that's not a sign that we need to live a little, then you need to get your eyes checked because that's a sign.

 Okay, so everything from my nails to my elbows will be spotted with dye for the next few days, but there is actually not a single reason for me to care. There's just something so freeing about deliberately staining my clothes.

Note the horrible color combo in my tray... Results to come.

We really did make a mess...

Just a few of the finished products!

This is what happens when your fuchsia mixes with your yellow...
Brown. Gross, stupid brown.



1 comment: