Friday, July 25, 2014

I Tricked Out an Ampersand

Ever since Max and Caroline on 2 Broke Girls bought a giant light-up arrow for their cupcake shop, I've wanted one. The light-up thing, not a cupcake shop.



I'm quite taken with the mildly obnoxious, pseudo vintage, slightly hipster vibe of it. So, I shopped around - and by "around" I mean that I sat in my bed, online browsing until 2 am - and, to my dismay, found nothing satisfying (that I was willing to pay for). Weeks passed, then months, and I was ready to settle for a life without light-up wall decor. But then I went to a Hobby Lobby, a place that EVERY person needs to experience, and found the inspiration to make my own vintagey-hipster, light-up sign!

Things you'll need:
- Tin letter/number/symbol/silhouette of your late guinea pig named Randolf/logo
- Light string(s)
- Drill
- Scrap wood
- Decent forearm strength
- Electrical tape
- Sharpie
- Sewing measuring tape

Tin symbol from Hobby Lobby: $15 (on sale)
Battery powered LED light string from Hobby Lobby: $5ish
(I used three strings of 15 lights)
 Step 1:

Start by flipping over your symbol and measuring the inner circumference. Be sure to include any holes for things like A's, B's, &'s, @'s, etc. as separate measurements.



Calculate how many lights you'll need to outline the symbol. Remember to measure how much cord is between the bulbs on your light string! With a sharpie, mark (on the back side) the spot where each light will poke out.

Step 2:

Use your scrap wood as a stable, disposable surface to drill into. Now, if you are not a drill savvy person, you'll need to acquire a drill savvy person. And - here's a free tip out of the generosity of my soul - while you have said person around, you should take the opportunity to familiarize yourself with a drill. This will add to your skill set and work towards eliminating your need of friends.*

 
Drill Master Dad making this look very easy.
Drill Apprentice Kaite using her decent forearm strength to keep the drill straight and eventually force a hole through the metal.

It is very, very important that you find the right sized drill bit for the light holes. If the holes are too big, the lights won't stay in, too small and they won't poke through. If you aren't sure what size to use, start small and then enlarge as necessary. Once you've found the perfect fit, drill through each sharpie-designated point.


Step 3:

Once you've finished drilling the holes in your symbol, you can start with the lights! Poke the lights through the holes and secure them with electrical tape.

    

Step 4:

Light 'em up!

              
               In the dark.
Not in the dark.





*Your daily dose of satire.

No comments:

Post a Comment